The printing activities were moved to the buildings around St James Mill, which is now the company headquarters.
The first motorised vehicles used by Jarrold sales representatives, or "commercial travellers" as they were called, were motorbikes, as this picture of Mr Herbert Seaman in 1915 shows (left).
Jarrold's advanced printing division at Cowgate since 1902 (now Whitefriars), supported by a general publishing house in London (below right), saw the company become one of the premier printing operations in the world. At its maximum it employed approximately 1,500 people.
The London Street store had its own circulating library on the second floor, enabling its users to enjoy the latest fiction at the "moderate cost" of 14/6 per year (below left).