Author: Trevor Nuthall
This is the revised edition of a book first published in 2002. In 1781 Armstrong wrote that the “village of Thorpe is sometimes called the Richmond of Norfolk, and may vie with the proudest and most admired summer retreats in all England.” This book traces the history of Thorpe St Andrew by taking readers on an imaginary two-mile journey along Yarmouth Road from Harvey Lane to Boundary Lane (justbeyond St Andrew’s Park). Many of the buildings along the way are described and linked with the historical development of the village.
This revised edition includes new sections on Dussindale, where Kett’s rebels were defeated in 1549, and Mousehold Heath, which used to cover more than half of the parish. It also takes into account the author’s recent research into the history of Thorpe.
Publisher: Trevor Nuthall